Frequently Asked Questions

This page contains answers to questions frequently addressed to the Merrifield View Homeowners Association Board of Directors. If there's a question that you'd like to have answered or would like to add a question that's not on the list below, send the question (along with the answer, if known) via email.

Table of Contents

  1. What are my yearly assessments and when are they due?
  2. What services do my assessments provide me?
  3. Who makes up the board of directors?
  4. Who do I contact regarding home improvements?
  5. What's the policy regarding the use of satellite dish antennas?
  6. When is trash and recycling picked up?
  7. What items can be included in the recycling pickup?
  8. What items can not be included in the trash pickup?
  9. Who do I contact regarding special trash pickups?
  10. What can I do when someone parks in my parking spot?
  11. Who do I call about commercial vehicles parked in Merrifield View?
  12. What's the policy regarding solicitors within Merrifield View?
  13. Who do I call to to report vandalism or other suspicious activity?
  14. What do I do if I lose my mailbox key or the lock won't open?
  15. How do I request a property owner's association disclosure package when I am selling my home?

1  What are my yearly assessments and when are they due?

Homeowner assessments are due on the 1st day of each month. The assessment for 2018 is $111 per month. Homeowners are given a 30-day grace period for each monthly assessment. This means that any payment is due on the 1st of the month and will be considered timely as long as it has been received and recorded at the lockbox within 30-days of the due date. Payments received after the grace period will have a late charge of $5 added to the account plus interest at the rate of 6% per annum.

Please consider using our new on-line payment option. Click the link on the "Pay HOA Assessments" page and it will take you directly to HOA Bank Services, our platform for on-line payment services.

2  What services do my assessments provide me?

Assessments provide the following services:

  • Twice-weekly trash collection (Tuesday and Friday trash collection, Friday recycling collection- trash must be placed out by 5:00 am - (trash may not be placed out the evening before) – hauler is American Disposal Services, (703) 368-0500.
  • Lawn care for the common areas
  • Upkeep of common areas (streets and sidewalks, and common area trees)
  • Snow removal from streets and parking lots
  • Street lights
  • Association administration and record keeping
  • Common area liability insurance
  • Newsletters and other mailings

Each year the Board of Directors sets aside a portion of the total annual assessment into a capital maintenance reserve fund. The purpose of the fund is to cover major maintenance expenses incurred by the Association. This savings plan reduces the possibility of special assessments in later years for maintenance items such as re-paving or resealing of streets and major repairs to sidewalks and curbs. Without the capital maintenance reserve fund, special assessments of several hundred dollars per unit would be required to maintain these areas. 

3  Who makes up the Board of Directors?

The board members in Merrifield View are your neighbors who have volunteered to assist in running the Association. We invite you to contact any of the board members if you have any questions or comments about the neighborhood. You may send email or you may leave a telephone message with the Association's managing agent, POA Management Associates at (703) 938-8761. If you have an interest in supporting the board by becoming a director, please let us know. Your help is needed and would be greatly appreciated. Directors are elected at a general meeting each October to one-year terms. 

4  Who do I contact regarding home improvements?

If you contemplate any exterior additions, improvements, or changes including, but not limited to, replacement of fences, windows, doors, sheds, shutters, roofing or painting the exterior of your house, your written request must be approved by the Architectural Advisory Committee prior to beginning the work. Send us a description or diagram of the change to be made, including location and color.  Please use the application form found under the "Architectural Control" page.  This is necessary to ensure that the overall appearance of the community is consistent and attractive, and property values are maintained. Consult the Architectural Guidelines for more specific details. They can be found at the "Architectural Control" page.

The following information should be included in your request: a description, drawing, picture or brochure showing the changes to be made. Include color samples, dimensions, and all information needed so the Committee can "visualize" your request. Permission is required by the Covenants to ensure that the overall appearance of the community is consistent and attractive. You may reach the AAC via [email protected] or by calling POA Management Associates at (703) 938-8761.

5  What's the policy regarding the use of satellite dish antennas?

The installation of satellite dish antennas are permissible on private property within Merrifield View subject to the following provisions: 

The intent of the policy regarding satellite dish antennas is to permit the unimpaired reception of video programming services by homeowners within the development while at the same time minimizing the visual impact (as observed from the front sidewalk of homes) of the satellite dish itself. The Architectural Control Committee (ACC) approves applications for the installation of a satellite dish of less than one meter in diameter, but may require that it be located in a location which minimizes it's visual impact yet permits unimpaired reception. Dishes should fall into the lowest of the following categories:

Category 1 - Back roof, not visible from the front sidewalk of the subject home. 
Category 2 - Back roof, least possible visibility from front sidewalk of subject home. 
Category 3 - Attached to side of home (end units only). 
Category 4 - Front roof.

Satellite dishes which are in poor repair or which are non-operational must be repaired or removed by the homeowner so as to maintain the architectural quality of the community. The ACC may issue notice of repair or removal to townhouse unit property owners whose satellite dishes are unsightly due to deterioration or which may no longer be functional or repairable. 

6  When are trash and recycling picked up?

  • Regular trash is collected every Tuesday and Friday. Regular trash is collected from the rear of the homes (outside the fence).  Recycling and large items may be placed out in the front, common area, pick up points.  Trash needs to be secured in cans, double-bagged or heavy weight trash bags. It may not be placed out in paper bags or flimsy grocery bags. 
  • Recycling collection is every Friday. See the FAQ - "What items can be included in the recycling pick up?" for a list of acceptable recyclables. Please secure recyclables on windy days. 
  • Yard waste collections are made on Fridays (bagged grass clippings, bagged leaves, bundled tree trimmings which must be less than 4 inches in diameter, cut into 4-foot lengths and tied in small bundles or bagged), and bagged or bundled brush). 
  • All trash and recycling materials must be placed out for pickup by 5:00 a.m. on the morning of the pick-up. 
  • Consult the MVHA Architectural Guidelines as amended 2015, Section 15, as well as Policy Resolution 2009-1 for the rules regarding trash can type and placement.  Both of these documents are available on this website.  Visit both the "Architectural Control" page as well as the "Policy Resolutions" page for this information.  

It is a violation of the Association rules as well as a disservice to neighbors to leave trash or special pick-up items out on the curb or in front of the house on days other than the pick-up day. This also presents a potential health hazard by attracting rodents and other pests into the community.

7  What items can be included in the recycling pickup? 



  • PAPERS:  Office paper, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, phone books, paperback and hardback books, paperboard used to make food packaging like cereal boxes, juice cartons, cardboard boxes, pizza boxes without grease, newspapers and ALL inserts
  • METALS:  Aluminum cans, soup cans, aluminum foil, rinsed aluminum foil trays, empty aerosol cans, metal coat hangers
  • PLASTICS:  ALL plastic bottles, jugs, or cups marked #1 – 7, rigid plastics, milk jugs, plastic coat hangers, wide-mouth plastic containers


The following items CANNOT be recycled:

  • No heavy metal pots and pans
  • No glassware/heat-resistant glass
  • No paper plates or napkins
  • No Styrofoam products or packing products
  • No light bulbs
  • No batteries
  • No ceramics
  • No clothing
  • No tires
  • No motor oil Containers
  • No plastic cutlery, forks, knives & spoons
  • No plastic food trays & cups
  • No wax coated cardboard

For a complete and extensive list of recyclable items visit the Fairfax County Government Department of Public Waste and Environment Services website.

Since the majority of yard waste in the community is related to the common area mowing, the following items will not be recycled but will be picked up at the curb by American Disposal if properly bagged or bundled as follows:

  • Bagged leaves
  • Bagged grass clippings
  • Hedge and tree trimmings only if individual limbs are less than 4 inches in diameter.  They must be tied in small bundles or bags and may not exceed 4-feet in length.

Recycling service is provided by American Disposal Services (703) 368-0500.

8  What items cannot be included in the trash pickup?

The following items are not allowed for disposal in the regular trash or the special pickups. Dead animals, paint, stains, construction or remodeling materials, propane tanks, manure, tree stumps, mulch, sod, dirt, stones, rocks, cement, bricks, poisons, dangerous acids, caustics, explosives or other dangerous materials or items too large or too heavy to be loaded into collection vehicles safely by American Disposal Service workers. Even though technically the trash company can take dried latex paint cans, they will not stop to remove the tops off the cans to investigate so please plan accordingly.

If you are not sure if an item is allowed, call ADS at (703) 368-0500. For a more complete listing of how to dispose of Household Hazardous Waste and for the hours of operation of the I-66 Transfer Station go to this link for County Trash and Recycling. 

9  Who do I contact to schedule special trash pickups?

Merrifield View uses American Disposal Services (ADS) for all trash hauling. If you have a large item for the trash you will need to coordinate with ADS in advance by calling (703) 368-0500 to have this item picked up as a special pickup. Certain items are included in the HOA contract at no additional charge to the homeowner. They are: packing boxes of new residents; furniture; extra yard debris; mattresses; and other large household items.

NOTE:  our new contract excludes the free pickup of ferrous metals/white goods such as stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, hot water tanks and other bulky metallic items.  Residents must make arrangements to pay American Disposal directly for this service.  Contact them for a rate schedule. 

All special pickups (which may not exceed two cubic yards in volume) will be collected at curbside on the 2nd trash collection day by appointment only and should be called into ADS at least 24 hours in advance.

Items scheduled for special pickup may not be put out on the curb for pickup until after dusk the day before the pickup day.

10  What can I do when someone parks in my spot?

Every home within the association has been assigned one reserved parking space. For security reasons it is identified by the lot number. All unreserved spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you have more than 1 car for your residence, please be considerate of your neighbors and attempt to park your extra vehicles in less congested areas. Enforcement of RESERVED PARKING is the responsibility of the individual homeowner. If a vehicle is parked in your reserved space and the vehicle owner cannot be located after a reasonable effort has been made to do so, the homeowner or tenant has the right to authorize towing of the vehicle from the space. Merrifield View Homeowners Association has a contract with Dominion Towing authorizing homeowners to tow out of their reserved space only. Contact them 24 hours a day at (703) 339-2400 to make arrangements. 

11  Who do I call about commercial vehicles parked in Merrifield View?

No commercial vehicle shall be permitted to be kept on Merrifield View property at anytime nor parked in Merrifield View overnight. Commercial vehicles shall only be permitted to be parked inside Merrifield View while picking up or delivering passengers or merchandise or during performance of a service within the community. Residents, who maintain a business office within Merrifield View or use a commercial vehicle in the conduct of their business, shall not have any commercial vehicle associated with that business permitted to be parked at any time within Merrifield View. 

For the purpose of enforcement of this policy, the definition of a commercial vehicle shall be a vehicle which is used in the conduct of a business or service and:

  • Displays advertising lettered thereon or is licensed as a "for hire" vehicle, or
  • Holds exposed tools or equipment on the vehicle including, but not limited to, ladders, tool boxes, traffic cones, pipes, construction materials and tools.


Vehicles excluded from commercial designation shall be at the discretion of the Board of Directors and will generally include:

  • Vehicles which are operated by public agency, or
  • Vehicles used exclusively for transportation of persons to and from a school, place of religious worship, or activities related thereto.
  • Other non-commercial vehicles such as motor homes, camping trailers, boats, boat trailers, horse trailers or similar recreational equipment recognized as personal property and which are covered by other requirements in the Merrifield View Restrictive Covenants.

12  What's the policy regarding solicitors within Merrifield View?

Solicitation is not allowed in Merrifield View. Signs are posted at each entrance to the community. Solicitors who disregard the posted signs are in violation of Chapters 31 and 34 of the Fairfax County Code and should be reported directly to the police. You should contact Fairfax County Police at their non-emergency number (703) 691-2131. Unfortunately, newspaper solicitors are exempt under the Code. Please note that it is against the County law for anyone to solicit after 8:00 p.m.

13  Who do I call to report vandalism or other suspicious activity?

If you witness vandalism, suspicious activity or other types of non-emergencies, please contact Fairfax County Police at (703) 691-2131. For emergencies, call 911.

14  What do I do if I lose my mailbox key or the lock won't open?

If you lose your mailbox key or if the lock isn’t working, contact the Vienna Post Office at (703) 242-1393 to make arrangements for the lock to be replaced.  Master keys are not maintained, thus replacement keys are not available.

15  How do I request a property owner's association disclosure package when I am selling my home?

Disclosure packet Request Forms are available on-line from the Association's property manager.  Sellers may also contact the homeowners' association property manager at (703) 938-8761 or via [email protected]  The cost of a package varies depending on form (paper or electronic) and delivery requirements.  By law, the manager has 14 days to provide a package; however, sellers can request an expedited package for an additional charge.  An expedited package will be available within 5 business days after receipt of a properly completed request form.